The Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections (BERSIH) calls on all Senators to uphold parliamentary democracy by passing the Constitution (Amendment) (No 3) Bill 2022 to deter party-hopping by elected representatives when it comes to the vote in the Dewan Negara on 9 August 2022.
It has been reported that the Constitution (Amendment) (No 3) Bill 2022 might fail to pass the threshold of two-thirds in Dewan Negara if 12 Senators from BERSATU are absent, abstain or vote against it. Dewan Negara currently has 60 Senators, which includes 22 from the Perikatan Nasional bloc (BERSATU-12, PAS-8, GERAKAN-2). A constitutional amendment requires the vote of 47 Senators.
Political developments between UMNO and Bersatu that happened since last week should not derail the passage of the Anti-Hopping Amendments. BERSIH warns the Senators to put national interest before their party interest on this amendments. To clear the air, we urge the following 12 BERSATU Senators, and other Senators from the Perikatan Nasional bloc, to publicly declare their stand on the Constitution (Amendment) (No 3) Bill 2022 before its debate and second reading which is scheduled for tomorrow, 9 August 2022:
1. YB Senator Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Utama Dr. Rais Yatim
2. YB Senator Datuk Dr. Mohd Radzi Bin Md Jidin
3. YB Senator Tuan Wan Ahmad Fayhsal bin Wan Ahmad Kamal
4. YB Senator Tuan Ak Nan A/L Eh Took
5. YB Senator Datuk Bobbey Ah Fang Bin Suan
6. YB Senator Datuk Iskandar Dzulkarnain bin Abdul Khalid
7. YB Senator Tuan Jaziri Alkaf Abdillah Suffian
8. YB Senator Datuk John Ambrose
9. YB Senator Ir. Md Nasir Bin Hashim
10. YB Senator Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Mohd Radzi Bin Tan Sri Sheikh Ahmad
11. YB Senator Tuan Muhammad Zahid Bin Md Arip
12. YB Senator Datuk Razali Bin Idris
BERSIH warns any politician who rejects this Bill without justified argument, which passed with overwhelming support of 209 MPs in Dewan Rakyat, will be condemned by Malaysian voters in posterity.
Statement issued by:
The Steering Committee of BERSIH